Kids and elders are often the most prone to fall ill from polluted air. Kids are the ones who venture out to go to their schools so early. Morning hours are usually the most polluted time in winters. Even the Coronavirus disease has been found to be more fatal for kids under the age of 6 years. In this post you’ll gain information on the Best N95 Masks for Kids. I am pretty sure you would already have searched online for masks for kids.
BEST N95 MASK FOR KIDS
Kids need even greater protection from pollutants and viruses. Their active routine and natural lack of awareness makes them vulnerable. Sadly, there are no N95 masks for kids. The reason for this are-
- Kids have smaller lungs and may experience greater breathing resistance than an adult.
- NIOSH certified masks are for occupational uses.
The use of N95 masks is approved for teenagers. There’s one more reason why adult masks fail for kids. Adult masks or conventional masks do not fit well for kids. As you already know, a N95 mask is futile unless its a good fit. A mask will not stop pollution if it is over-sized with respect to the kid’s face. There will be scope for air leakage from the edges. Hence, avoid making your kids to wear N95 masks unless its too polluted. Why to let kids out unless its too necessary.
Now you know the reason why its so difficult to find a N95 mask for kids. There aren’t any!
1. Best Mask For Kids 3M 8110S
You must be surprised to see us mentioning a N95 mask for kids here. Just a few lines above, we said there is no designated N95 mask for kids. Actually, 3M 8110S is also a N95 mask. But, its size is a bit smaller than 3M 8210. Rest all capabilities remain the same between two models. Hence, if at all a N95 mask is necessary for kids, you can look for the 8110S. The catch here is its availability. Unless a product is very much in demand, its supply is inconsistent.
3M 8110S has a cushioning nose foam instead of a nose clip. Wearing this mask even for long duration does not hurt the nose.
- 3M 8110S is as effective as the hugely popular 8210 mask.
- The size of 8110S is approx. 25% smaller than routine N95 masks.
- The mask is light weight and ideal for kids.
- The material is breathable and thus lower breathing resistance.
2. Junior Pollution Kids Mask From Prana Air
Prana Air has brought out a fancy looking anti pollution mask for kids. These masks have 5 layers of HEPA filters. A higher number of filter layers increase the breathing resistance. Prana Air Mask for Kids has a remedy for this problem. These masks have a battery operated fan. These two ventilators help reduce the problems in breathing one may have. The fan can be made to operate in 3 speeds. This lets adjustment for varying levels of physical activity and temperatures. An 8 hour battery life after which you can recharge with the enclosed USB cable.
PS- We do not vouch for the quality or efficacy of this product. Its non-returnable so bear this in mind.
- It has a 5 layer HEPA filter to achieve a high degree of air filtration.
- Grade 11 HEPA filters give 95.99% particle filtration efficiency.
- Ventilators help expelling stale carbon dioxide rich air.
- USB charging needs approx 2 hours to again make the fans run.
- Dimensions- 120 * 110 * 50 (mm)
- The battery is a 1000 mAh one.
3. Vritraz N95 Mask For Kids
Of the limited number of masks available for kids, Vritraz is one of them. The mask material is elastic, lightweight, and ear loops are easy to wear. There’s an aluminium nose bridge. Kids love cycling and other outdoor activities. Its little resistance to breathing makes it an ideal kids mask.
- UNIQUE DESIGN: These masks have good breathability. The unique design makes it easy for the exhaled air to pass out. A breathing valve is present in each mask for lower breathing resistance.
- BEST PROTECTION: Vritraz masks remove 98% of the dust, chemicals, smoke and particles. Masks give protection against dust, vehicular exhaust, pollen allergy, PM2.5.
- COMFORTABLE: The ear bands are made of soft cotton. Cotton ear loops are do not irritate and are comfortable.
HOW ABOUT USING SURGICAL MASKS FOR KIDS?
Surgical masks are naturally easier to breathe in as compared to N95 masks. This is at the cost of a considerably low ability to prevent finer PM2.5 from being inhaled. Surgical masks do provide some protection against larger dust particles. Please note that surgical masks are not cut out for dust pollution. As can easily be inferred from the name, they are for medical use. Wearing a surgical mask prevents the wearer’s nasal or oral fluids/droplets from reaching others.
If you are helpless to send out your child in a polluted environment, so be it. Incase N95 masks are unavailable, make them wear surgical masks for some protection.
Never make infants or kids smaller than 4 years to wear any sort of masks.
What Dietary Changes Help In Fighting Pollution?
A healthy diet and body always help gives a tough fight against pollution. This may not hold true for persistent bad air in some cities. Regular exposure to foul air is a sure shot cause behind respiratory ailments. In such polluted days, everyone should stay safe indoors and use air purifiers or air conditioners. Kids should stay inside and physical exertions and outdoor activities should be halted. Fruits or supplements rich in antioxidants should be a regular part of your diet. Usually all berries are good source of antioxidants. Citrus fruits and guava are rich Vitamin C sources.
Fried and heavy foods should be avoided at all costs. Kids and junk foods have become inseparable but this is unfortunate.
No one would ever wish to see the the health of their kids at risk. Kids have a full lifetime ahead of them. Respiratory problems if occur early on in the childhood can wreck havoc in life. Hence, in days of high pollution level try to keep the kids indoors. Making the children to wear masks can be a tough job. Try to get cool looking masks for kids instead of bland black ones. This way you would need little convincing and they would readily wear them outdoors.