What a different world 2020 brought in! There’s a clear hysteria surrounding the pandemic to be safe at all costs. A mad rush to buy Best N95 masks, sanitizers, gloves, face shields and what not! Our time and energy has been drawn to things we considered unnecessary until pre-COVID days. Take for instance the washing of the packaging of every grocery item before use. Or, sterilizing each and every thing you took outdoors upon return. Literally, year 2020 is passing like a never ending and common nightmare of the World! Even an innocuous sneezing or coughing in public spaces attracts suspicious glares. Washing hands frequently with soap or using the best sanitizers, are among many best practices to be followed.
To avoid being singled out, everyone must wears masks and carry hand sanitizers. It is impossible to travel even to the market without touching a variety of surfaces. The elevator button, door handle, staircase railings – no one knows where the virus could be waiting to come in our contact. Not all places have water accessible and sanitizers have become an indispensable item. Life is precious so one should gain insight into ways to protect themselves and their family.
Test For Best Sanitizers?
A good test for finding out the alcohol content and its efficiency is to see how quick the sanitizer evaporates. If this happens within 10 seconds, then it has a high alcohol content and will kill maximum germs. Also, before purchasing do check the label for the percentage and the ingredients present. If the package contains Ethyl alcohol, Isopropyl alcohol, or Benzalkonium chloride and states a 60% content, then it is effective enough. CDC has set 60% as the baseline. Chlorhexidine is also a good ingredient to have. Apart from this, you may check for strength of scents, moisturizing capacity (ingredients like Aloe Vera or Honey) and bottle type for easy carrying.
It is likely that you will be carrying the sanitizer everywhere you go. So, do check that the bottle is leak-free and is of proper size to fit in your pocket or bag.
TOP 10 BEST SANITIZERS IN 2020
We’ve listed down some of the best hand sanitizers by comparing their pros and cons. We have one each of whatever may your type be – scented or unscented, low or high content, flip-open top or pump bottle.
This hand sanitizer spray is one of the premium products available on Amazon. The best thing about it is that it contains 75% Isopropyl alcohol. For your information the rubbing alcohol or spirit used in hospitals or before administering an injection to clean the skin is Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)only. It is better than ethyl alcohol as it is gentler on the skin and leaves a cool feeling. Any alcohol evaporates and when it evaporates, it takes up heat from the skin for it. This is what causes the cool feeling. IPA does not have any moisturizing properties in itself, hence you may want to try out their other luxury products specifically made for hands care.
If you don’t want to spend more on specialized products targeting hands, then the Hempz sanitizer is the best sanitizer.
For Better Moisturization Often Ordered Along With
GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT
- ALCOHOL CONTENT – Sparitual hand sanitizer is composed of 75% Isopropyl alcohol. The CDC recommends over 70% concentration of IPA as against 60% of Ethyl alcohol for most effectiveness against Coronavirus.
- MOISTURIZATION – Of the only 4 ingredient it has, Glycerin is one of them. Glycerin is well known for its goodness for skin. The other ingredients are just purified water (H2O) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), both of which have no drying effect.
- SCENT – No added fragrance, it just smells of Isopropyl alcohol. If you dislike the scent of absolute alcohol, you can read ahead for more better smelling sanitizers. Alternatively, you can add some Lavender oil or Vitamin E to it for moisturizing.
- BOTTLE – A spray mechanism is provided and its not evaporation.
- FREE FROM HARMFUL INGREDIENTS – As mentioned above there are just 4 ingredients none of which is harmful for the health.
Are you someone whose work profile demands frequent hand sanitization? If so, then you would be looking for a moisturizing hand sanitizer which does its job well without robbing your akin of its moisture and suppleness. Hempz herbal hand sanitizer is a a great product as testified by numerous happy customers. Some may rue about the small size of the bottles, but then you need to put a few small drops of it at a time. Its available in 8.5 Fl Oz and 2.25 Fl Oz bottle sizes. The smaller bottle doesn’t come with a pump rather just a cap.
The Hempz hand sanitizer contains a host of good ingredients. Your hands are protected from bacteria and virus and at the same time well moisturized and soft. It is arguably one of the Best Sanitizers I came across.
GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT
- ALCOHOL CONTENT – is over 63% which is more than the minimum recommendation of 60%.
- MOISTURIZATION – This is the key selling proposition for this hand sanitizer. Its ingredients like coconut oil, and hemp seed oil provide perfect hand moisturization. Apple and avocado extracts as a source of Vitamin C and anti-oxidants for the skin. It contains Aloe Vera too.
- SCENT – Very nice fragrance which is liked by the majority of users. The sanitizer smells of grapefruit and peach aroma. This is not a smell that would leave you cringing.
- PUMP BOTTLE – A pump makes for easy and metered dispensing of hand sanitizer. This prevents wastage due to spilling, excess use or evaporation.
- FREE FROM HARMFUL INGREDIENTS – The Hempz herbal hand sanitizer does not contain parabens, gluten, THC and is a vegan product.
CHECK HEMPZ HAND SANITIZER PRICE
ALCOHOL OR ALCOHOL-FREE SANITIZERS?
It was earlier believed that the best hand sanitizers are those that contain high alcohol content. However, we know too much alcohol percentage directly means lesser water content. Researches indicate that water is also crucial for killing germs and only alcohol is ineffective. It can also leave your skin very dry and flaky. A content of 60 to 70% v/v ethyl alcohol is believed to be optimum to kill 99.9% of disease-causing bacteria. Brands are also introducing sanitizers that contain moisturizers which can both cleanse and help make your skin smoother. Many brands provide alcohol free sanitizers derived from plant-based or natural acids. In this post, we’re going to look at some of the best sanitizers available in the market.
If you have very sensitive or already dry skin, alcohol can aggravate your condition. Benzalkonium chloride based hand sanitizers are mild on the skin and kills most germs.
Yet another hand sanitizer which makes to our Best sanitizers countdown with elan. Unlike the Hempz hand sanitizer we discussed above, this one contains limited number of ingredients. So, as much less doubt and confusion about their safety or effect. For starters, it contains 70& v/v Ethyl alcohol which is more than Hempz’ 63%. Plus, it also have Isopropyl alcohol which is a good thing. Ethyl and Isopropyl alcohols supplement each other in their fight against bacteria and viruses. One fights bacteria better and the other eliminates viruses.
So for the hand’s skin retain its moisture, Aloe Vera and Carbomer have been added. Carbomer is a safe ingredient also found in lubricating eye drops. Furthermore, the gel has a good consistency. All this along with the CDC recommended 70% alcohol content makes it the best sanitizer in this term. It is a 100% Made in USA product.
- ALCOHOL CONTENT – is over 70% Ethyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol also makes it in the total 70% volume of the gel.
- MOISTURIZATION – Aloe Vera and carbomer as ingredients provide the requisite skin care.
- SCENT – Very subtle scent of citrus but not as great as that of Hempz. You can assume it to be just slightly scented.
- PUMP BOTTLE – Each bottle of hand sanitizer comes with a pump dispenser. There is larger refill bottle also with cap. Also the bottles are very sleek making it easy to slide them in the pockets or carry.
- FREE FROM HARMFUL INGREDIENTS – This sanitizer is safe from the presence of phthalates, parabens and other harmful chemicals.
4. PIPETTE HAND SANITIZER GEL
Pipette Hand Sanitizing Gel is the best hand sanitizer is you are looking for an unscented product. It is gentle and has moisturizing capabilities, so it will not dry your skin. The alcohol content is 65% so it is lower than the CDC advised 70% for Coronavirus. But in general terms, it is sufficient to kill germs. It still can kill 99.99% of harmful bacteria and is certified by the EWG. Pipette uses 100% squalane and not ethyl alcohol. Sugarcane is used to derive this kind of plant-based alcohol. Glycerin acts as a skin-smoothening agent. Hence it is a plant-based derivative and not synthetic. It can also be used by children (not infants) and is safe for sensitive skin.
- 65% Ethyl Alcohol content. Does not dry the skin.
- Uses Squalane to derive alcohol, hence it is a plant-based product.
- Small bottle size makes it convenient to carry it along. Afterall, a hand sanitizer is all about sanitization on the go!
- No fragrance, hence good for sensitive skin.
- Does not leave a sticky residue.
- Safe synthetic ingredients used in manufacturing.
Hand sanitizer sprays are great for sanitizing surfaces outdoors as well as the hands. You won’t rub a sanitizer gel to clean a surface with your hands right! For such cases a sanitizer spray is a revelation. With 75% alcohol content, this is a very strong hand sanitizer that comes in a 236 mL or 8 oz bottle. It is perfect to carry in handbags or school bags. Honeydew is an unscented and non-toxic hand sanitizer. Hence, it is safe to use on sensitive skin. Children who do not have skin allergies and are old enough to rub hands can use this sanitizer as well.
Unlike the above products that use Ethyl Alcohol as the main disinfectant, Honeydew uses 75% Isopropyl alcohol only. Being in spray form with such high alcohol content makes it highly inflammable.
- This score brownie points for its ease of use while travelling
- High alcohol content. Suggested for those working in exposed circumstances.
- Fragrance-free and non-toxic. It just smell like alcohol that’s it.
- Dries very fast and does not leave a sticky residue. Also contains Glycerin and hydrogen peroxide.
- Comes in a spray bottle which may be preferred to a flip-top bottle by some people.
This is another high alcohol hand sanitizer. It is manufactured following WHO guidelines. This is a water-based sanitizer that has 80% Ethyl Alcohol content. It is free from synthetic ingredients like dyes, triclosan, parabens, and phthalates. It comes in a pack with a spray nozzle attached. The bottle is larger in size than others on the list. So, it may not be very portable. The bottle exterior is made of plastic. So, it is better to not leave the product in the sun. This can cause the alcohol to expand or leak.
- Has a high alcohol content of 80%. If you frequent public spaces, then this percentage is suitable for you
- Has a watery consistency and is not gel-like. So dries more quickly
- Does not leave any residue and is non-sticky
- Leaves hand smooth and does not dry skin
- Is not free from scent, which some people may prefer while others may not
This is one of the most gentle hand sanitizer on the list. This is in part due to Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, Carbomer and Glycerin being its ingredients. Aloegienic contains 70% alcohol content and comes in a large 1 L or 32 oz bottle. So, you might have to buy separate pouches to carry it outside with you. The product uses glycerin and aloe to soften skin and prevent drying. It has a gel-like consistency and does not use parabens, triclosan, or other harmful ingredients. The alcohol used is derived from sugar cane and sugar beets which are plant-based.
- 70% Alcohol content which is derived from sugar cane and sugar beet. So, plant-based alcohol is used
- Uses Aloe Vera and glycerin to keep skin soft and smooth
- Non-drying for the skin and comes in a beautiful bottle.
- Does not use parabens and triclosan.
- Safe to use for children.
Not everyone likes non-scented sanitizers. If you’re the kind who’s looking for funky designs, small sizes and a good smell – this is the product for you. This Bath and Body Works product comes in a pack of 10. Each small packet contains 29 mL or 1 oz of material. Spearmint and eucalyptus essential oils are used in aromatherapy to clear the mind. As a result, here these give the sanitizer a pleasant smell. Unlike others that might a strong smell of rubbing alcohol, the fruity smell of this product is quite attractive. Despite its appearance, this sanitizer kills 99.9% of germs. It has the recommended alcohol percentage and is great for carrying in small purses.
- You get different bottle with an assortment of scents. Whether you get all different or some same scent bottle is all random.
- Very small bottles to carry everywhere with ease.
- Has 60% alcohol content for killing germs.
- Skin-softening formula added.
9. Purell Advanced Soft Hand Refreshing Gel Hand Sanitizer
Purell is a hand sanitizer brand that has been in the market since 1988. It is an advanced microbe cleaning sanitizer that is used by most medical professionals. It has a high alcohol content of 70% that makes it an efficient product. Purell Advanced has been tested and it was found that the same amount can kill more bacteria than any other market product. Only 15 seconds of use can provide protection from germs.
- 70% Ethyl Alcohol content. Best for those with non-sensitive skin since it can cause irritation for those with sensitive skin
- Kills the highest amount of bacteria per ounce of sanitizer.
- Contains a specially formulated moisturizer that leaves skin soft and reverses the drying effect of alcohol.
- Dries quickly and does not leave residue
- Mild smell, good for those who are sensitive to scented sanitizers
10. Paul Mitchell Hand Sanitizer Spray
This sanitizer takes the cake for being the strongest in the list. It has 80% alcohol. Containing antiseptic alcohol within a spray bottle, this product has a horde of positive reviews praising it. The bottle contains a quantity of 100 mL which can be easily carried everywhere. The company also donated 40,000 units of this sanitizer to high-risk groups. John Paul Mitchell Systems is a salon professional company. They expanded into sanitizers with the oncoming pandemic to provide units to those in need. First-time users were wary of a new company. But they were pleasantly surprised after buying it! Don’t take out word for it – take a look at the reviews.
- 80% alcohol content which is the highest in this list
- Small bottle to carry easily, can be carried on planes without security issues
- Fragrance-free. Hence, good for sensitive skin
- Comes in a well-packaged box
The Best Sanitizers Suited For You
All these sanitizers contain alcohol. So, they are flammable products and must not be left with kids without supervision. As such, they should also be kept out of the sun otherwise there are chances of leakage. This is especially true in the case of spray nozzles. If you’re looking for safe sanitizer for baby, then we have a separate post that you can check out.
While many factors go into determining which are the best hand sanitizers, it also depends on personal choices and preferences. Some may prefer water-based sanitizers while others may lean towards gel sanitizers. Bottle size is another factor since a large bottle will mean you have to buy separate carry pouches. Always check the percentage and its sensitivity to your skin before buying. Also, check the ingredients present. If you see ingredients besides Ethyl alcohol, Isopropyl alcohol, or Benzalkonium chloride listed as “active” ingredients then you should research more before buying it. Hope you found this best sanitizers countdown informative!