We have discussed in great detail how useful humidifier for rooms can be. In a previous post, we wrote how cool mist ultrasonic humidifiers spray very fine mist in the air. The mist is not generated by boiling the tank water but by using ultrasonic (high frequency) sound. This makes running such humidifiers safe around kids. Also, there’s a mechanism to control humidity (humidistat) in some high-end ones. Using Steam machines finds utility in medical conditions of the respiratory system. Many people suffer from stuffy nose, swollen sinuses and running nose, especially in winters. This post lists out the Best Steamer For Cold Cough And Sinus in India.
Humidifiers are beneficial for your respiratory system. For instances when you are suffering from cough and cold, inhaling hot steam is prescribed by doctors. We list out such steam vaporizers which can double up for facial sauna as well. Sauna or steam baths are a rage for those who value their health and beauty. Steam consoles or vaporizers can be effectively utilized for targeted action on face. Steam opens up the skin pores and helps clean the skin impurities. Open skin pores help clear black heads, reduces acne, dead skin, and excess oil. Stay tuned and we also list out the Best Facial Sauna Steamer In India too. Philips steam vaporizer in the form of a nebulizer cannot be used for steam inhalation.
BEST STEAMER FOR COLD COUGH AND SINUS
I have personally used the steam inhaler from Console company. It is easily available on chemist shops and is very cheap cost-wise. However, there are some major shortcomings too. But for one-off use, you can buy it from your local chemists, it would do the job. The Steamer from Healthgenie is similar to the Console one. But, don’t expect you can use them for long duration at a time.
The biggest drawback in the Console steamer is that it has an All-plastic container. Don’t know to what extent, but plastic is not very safe to be used as a tank for steam inhalation. The first danger of using plastic body is obviously because it gets very hot to handle. Secondly, plastic tank puts out harmful vapors along with steam. Also, when water starts boiling after sometime, it tends to come out of the vessel which may result in scalding injuries. There is no mechanism to regulate the steam output too. The steam is uneven and you have to constantly move around your head to chase it. Unless, you are using a towel over your head, it can be a non-productive exercise.
Doctors sometimes advice to put Eucalyptus oil capsules or Benzoin tincture in the steam water. Some Essential Oils can also be helpful in cough and cold. We do not advise to put these directly into the water tank. Rather, you should soak a cotton in these oils and put it on the aroma tray. This way the steam carries the goodness of these oils along when it passes through the cotton. I found this aroma tray missing in the Console steamer. I once used a cotton but it blocked the steam opening and caused a dangerous situation.
1. Newnik Vaporizer Steam Inhaler For Cold And Cough
The Newnik V108 steam machine has taken care of all the shortfalls of the Console steamer. You can control the steam output via its knob. It is one of the Best Steamer for Cold And Cough. Keeping the respiratory track clear of cough can provide added safety against catching infections. Especial benefits of steam inhalation have been prescribed in Japanese culture against Coronavirus.
This product is an ideal buy and has many enhancements. Its good ratings and reviews make it one of the Amazon’s choice steamers.
- The water heats in a metal container rather than a plastic one.
- Two settings are provided for different steam output.
- 50 ml water tank which can last for 20 minutes usage.
- A power indicator light is provided.
- Auto cutoff when water tank becomes empty.
- An aroma tray is provided for using essential oils. Hence those who love aromatherapy can go for it.
- Heat insulated body so the vessel does not become hot externally.
- Price is a bit more for a steam vaporizer.
- No water level indicator in a small water tank.
- Non-returnable product.
It is crucial to maintain proper distance while inhaling steam or taking skin saunas. Excess heat could damage the skin cells and make it dry. Remember the motive should be to give your skin a warm steam bath and not to test your endurance. Also, make it a point to apply some good quality skin cream after taking the facial sauna. This is necessary to fill up the open pores with something skin friendly. Not doing this can do more harm than good. Dust, and external impurities could again clog the pores.
2. HealthSense Nano-Cure Facial Steamer & Steam Inhaler Vaporizer
This vaporizer from HealthSense is not ideal for inhaling steam for medicinal purposes. Its better to restrict its use only as a facial steamer. The unique feature is this product is that of UV sterilization. It helps kill any bacteria in the water. An internal steam circulation system produces highly fine steam mist. Without this system, steam tends to condense on the face without much skin penetration. So, in a way this Nano-Ionic steam increases the effectiveness of the steam treatment. Skin pores are cleaned better and there’s one more benefit. Skin’s collagen production is enhanced for better skin health and rejuvenation. This product is one of the Best Steam vaporizer for face.
- 55 ml water tank capacity although not much but enough to last for 8 minutes.
- A separate aroma tray/diffuser tray is provided. 10 cotton pads are given which can be stuck on the tray for medicated or essential oil inhalation.
- The produced steam is better focused and is directed towards the face.
- Fast production of steam within 20 seconds.
- Auto shutoff when the water in the tank is finished.
- Very short power cable so you have to make arrangements.
- Plastic container which gives a plastic smell in the steam.
- Not too suitable for steam inhalation.
3. Upscale Nano Ionic Facial Steamer
As the previous one, this one here is also not best for steam inhalation. However, its plastic is BPA free which is of better quality health-wise. The Upscale Nano Ionic facial steamer is the Best Facial steamer in India.
- Ultrasonic sound oscillator breaks down the mist into very fine size. This mist penetrates deeper into the skin.
- 80 ml water tank for 10-12 minutes of usage in one go.
- Uses a PTC ceramic heating element which produces instant steam.
- Automatic shutoff feature is present.
- A blue light power indicator is also provided.
- Silent operation.
- BPA free plastic hence it can also be used for steam inhalation.
- A slight movement during use can cause hot water to spill.
- Delicate body can be troublesome.
4. Dr Trust 3-in-1 Nano Ionic Best Steamer For Cold And Facial
Dr Trust is a product of USA. The company has many home and kitchen products in its kitty. It is a 3-in-1 steam machine suitable for medicinal steam inhalation, facial sauna and towel warming. A good water tank capacity makes it suitable to be used as a room humidifier.
- This is also a Nano-Ionic steamer, so steam mist is very fine and ideal for skin treatments.
- Good water tank capacity of 225 ml.
- The steam production is very fast.
- There’s a separate chamber for towel warming. Warm towels can be useful in hot fomentation on joints etc.
- BPA free material makes it safe for steam inhalation.
- No handle to shift its position while in operation. The body gets hot when in use.
- Some people complain of very less steam output.
5. Healthgenie Steamer For Cold
There are numerous steam inhalers like Healthgenie. Do not expect such products to be long lasting. We have placed it at the bottom of the list as it is not made of BPA-free plastic. After three-four usages the smell of burning plastic does go away.
- You can put medicinal oils directly into the water.
- The water should not be RO water. Some dissolved salts if present facilitate steam generation. RO water is very low on such minerals.
- Two separate attachments for steam inhalation and facial sauna are provided.
- Its not very safe to inhale steam from steamers made from non BPA-free plastic. Better to restrict its use to taking facial sauna or as a room humidifier.
- Any other cons should be ignored after looking at its low cost.
Benefits Of Steam Vaporizer On Health
Some of the Best Steam Vaporizer in India are easily available online. People suffering from cold and sinusitis observe relief in their conditions. Just one session of steam inhalation may not provide any respite, so multiple sittings are needed. Our parents always stressed the utility of steam inhalation, so now we know its all for a reason.
- Steam inhalation soothes the sinuses and reduces their inflammation. Sinusitis is nothing but swelling in the sinus muscles.
- Steam vapors benefit in allergy and asthma.
- Inhaling steam loosens up the mucus and eases it out. This relieves tensed up sinuses and relieves nasal congestion.
- Steam sauna removes dirt from the skin pores and improves blood circulation. Better blood circulation improves skin health and increases glow.
- Steam facials loosen up the dry skin cuticles and back-heads are also easily expelled.
Definitely! If you are a healthy individual even then steam inhalation is good for you. Whenever you return home from outside, its prescribed that you sanitize yourself well, preferably take a full bath. Blowing the nose, doing gargles with warm water and sipping some hot drinks is good. After taking a bath, cover your head with a towel and taking steam for 10 minutes. All these habits would go a long way to protect you against the virus. Even the vaccines are not 100% effective. So, although vaccination is still in the pipeline, the virus is here to stay forever. Hence, why taking chances with your health. Even getting vaccinated is not a sure-shot guarantee that you’d stay immune from the COVID-19 disease.
Build up your immunity through good diet, fruits and vegetables. Wearing a cotton mask and covering your nose AND the mouth is necessary. Cleanliness of hands, not touching the mask and face as much as possible, maintaining mask hygiene by proper washing or replacement is important.
What To Look For In A Best Steam Inhaler
Its always beneficial to keep a list of things to watch out for handy while buying something. The below points you should bear in mind when setting out to buy a good steamer for cold.
Design And Material Of Body
The design of a steam inhaler should be such that inhaling steam is a comfortable activity. The attachments (if any) should fit well and not leak at the junctions. The body of the steam vessel should not get very hot. It is not advisable to move the steam vaporizer while it is in use. Still, an insulated handle can help if present.
The material of the water tank is most important. Since, this part gets heated up directly, it needs to be free from carcinogenic substances. Look for “BPA free” markings.
Steam Output & Focus
No doubt this factor is also the basis of your buying decision. Look for reviews of users and how they experience the steam production. Steam usually starts coming out within a minute of use. It is important to gauge the direction and focus of the generated steam too. All the steam would go waste if it is wayward in flow. The Best Steamer for cold would give generous steam and that too in fine mist form.
You would not want to be splashed with boiling water droplets as well. Some advanced steam vaporizers, atomize the steam to make it very fine and effective. Look for “ultrasonic” or “hot mist” word in the product description. The ultrasonic ones utilize high frequency sound and vibrations to achieve fine steam output.
Safety comes first (don’t ignore it since its coming third in our listing). You can look for some mechanism to “auto-cutoff” the power when there is nothing left in the water container. Most cheap models do not have this, but the better ones do have it. The power cord should be long enough so that you can find a comfortable place to get seated.
It doesn’t hurt to choose a steam machine with larger water container if you have to make a choice. However, you should avoid reusing the same water again and again. This is one side-effect of a vessel with bigger tank. Those with smaller capacity only last for 10-15 minute sessions, so that is good in a way.
By portability we mean the length of the power cable should be long enough. We do not intend to suggest that you can or should move around the steam vessel while in use. Always avoid moving it as it can cause spillage of hot water.
Add On Attachments
Some of the best steam inhalers for cold and cough come with additional attachments. You can take a facial sauna or a warm towel therapy. Some of these are specific to be used only for beauty and skin treatments.
Correct Way To Take Steam From A Steamer For Cold & Cough
- Fill the water tank of the steamer vessel with clean water. Do not use distiller water. Use RO water or potable water with some dissolved salts at least. Absence of dissolved salts hampers steam production and prolongs its generation start time.
- Carefully notice the water level markings if any. Do not fill water below or over the MIN and MAX marks resp.
- Close the water chamber tightly and place the steamer on a flat, stable table.
- Sit at a comfortable place with a nearby power socket on a stable seat without clutter.
- Keep some tissue papers or napkins handy. Sometime into the steam inhaling session, water condenses on the inner of nose surface. These napkins would help you blow your nose to clear out the passage.
- Maintain proper distance between the nose/face and steam source/hole/vent. Advisable to keep a minimum of 20 cm gap.
- Rinse the leftover water and keep the attachments to dry for next time.
What To Do If Steam Production Is Low?
Have you filled up distilled water in the vessel? Dissolved minerals or impurities facilitate steam production. However, these are absent in distilled water. Even RO water with very low TDS is not ideal for use in steam inhalers. If at all there is no choice, then add a pinch of table salt to the water.
You may also be feeling low steam output for another reason. I’ve seen that when some light air is flowing at the place, it also affects the amount of steam reaching the face. So, you can take a towel over the head to shadow the steam machine a little. Sudden cool gusts of wind after steam inhalation can make your condition worse.
How To Use Essential Oils Or Medicinal Liquids?
It is not advisable to put essential oils or medicines for cold and cough directly into the water. The reason for this is that they may react with the plastic and hot water to form unwanted harmful by-products. Rather, read the instructions of the particular model you are using. Most Steam vessels have a dedicated tray for this purpose. A cotton swab can be soaked with the desired liquid and placed on this tray. Steam takes along the medicinal vapors along.
Which Essential Oils Are Best For Colds?
Eucalyptus oil has anti-bacterial properties which can be put to good use in colds. Add a few drops of its oil and inhale steam. <BUY IT>
Perhaps the most commonly used and heard of remedy for cough is menthol. Various lozenges like strepsils, vicks and syrups have menthol. Menthol is an extract of peppermint oil. <BUY IT>
Rosemary oil contains a compound Cineole which significantly reduces cough frequency. This compound is also present in Eucalyptus oil. <BUY IT>
Tea tree oil has been used as an age old remedy for cold and cough. This oil soothes inflammation and respiratory diseases. <BUY IT>
Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifiers For Rooms
Why to restrict your use of essential oils only when you are down for the count? You can give essential oils a place in your daily life easily with ultrasonic cool mist humidifiers. Try out different essential oils as each has its own unique goodness. Ultrasonic essential oil diffusers are made just for the purpose of delivering essential oil vapors effectively throughout the room. There’s no danger of sustaining burns as there are no hot parts. Add to this the beautiful changing LED lights which add charisma to your interiors! The below post is a detailed post on these humidifiers.
BEST ULTRASONIC ESSENTIAL OIL AND AROMA DIFFUSER HUMIDIFIERS
Steam inhalers have to be chosen with caution. Any design flaw or poor build quality can be dangerous. Taking steam is not a remedy for curing cold and cough. To be very frank your cold and cough won’t just vanish after inhaling steam. Yes, nasal congestion due to swollen sinuses, thick phlegm and symptoms of allergic cough are relieved. Do not get tempted to let small kids inhale steam on their own or even under supervision. They are not as expressive as an adult and may not be able to convey hotness of steam immediately. Piping hot water can cause serious burns if spilled. Empty the water from the steam vaporizer after use and leave it to dry.
Hope you found this post on the Best Steamer For Cold And Cough in India informative!
Leave a Reply